Saturday, January 28, 2006

Jesus, where's the proof?

It was bound to happen. After years of fights over what's PC, people fighting to take the word God out of the pledge of allegiance, complaints over crosses used to mark our soldiers' graves, fights over what exactly TO say over the holiday season, it has come down to this.

The Roman Catholic Church is being sued over lying to the people, by spreading fables over some man they call Jesus, and claiming He exists. See story....

How do we know Jesus exists? Can you prove it? Can you provide the concrete evidence in your hands to an avid atheist that Jesus actually IS Savior, that He could save the world? I don't know about your answer. I know I can't. And I don't think I'd want to. Not in that way, at least. I am not about to cheapen Jesus by becoming a Jesus Salesman and telling people, "Try Jesus, it works!" It doesn't work that way.

God bless mass evangelists who step out of their comfort zone and preach to the non-believers. That's got to be the hardest and most trying job of the active Christian community.

How do you explain your faith in Jesus? Why do you believe? Can you explain it? I'm reading this book right now and it put it perfectly....

"My belief in Jesus did not seem rational or scientific, and yet there was nothing I could do to seperate myself from this belief. I think Laura was looking for something rational, because she believed that all things that were true were rational. But that isn't the case. Love, for example, is a true emotion, but it is not rational. What I mean is, people actually feel it. I have been in love, many people have been in love, yet love cannot be proved scientifically. Neither can beauty. Light cannot be proved scientifically, and yet we all believe in light, and by light see all things. There are plenty of things that are true that don't make any sense. I think one of the problems Laura was having was that she wanted God to make sense. He doesn't. He will make no more sense to me than I make sense to an ant."
Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller, page 54.

The thing that I understood the most was on love. I love many things. Most of all on this earth, I love my children. Can I prove it? I could say I'd do a million things. I'd do anything for my children's well being. I'd sacrifice for my children. I discipline my children to help them grow up right. I'd die for my children. I tell them I love them everyday. I think about them all the time. But can I hold proof in my hand that I love my children? If somebody said, "Prove this love that you speak of", could I do it? Not scientifically. My love is in my heart and soul. I know I love my kids when I want to protect them from harm at all costs. I know I love my kids when it wells up so big in me that tears spring to my eyes. I know I love my kids when the greatest comfort to me is reading to them on the couch, a kid snuggled under each arm. I FEEL my love for my kids. That's how I KNOW I love my kids.

I FEEL Jesus in me. That's how I KNOW Jesus is there, that He lived for around 33 years performing miracles and sharing God through love and compassion, that He died on the cross for you and for me so that one day we could join Him. That's how I know that when I cry out to Jesus, He actually hears me and holds me. I FEEL HIM. And no matter how much I've tried to push Jesus aside, to ignore Him in my times of selfishness and sin, He is there for me, and He loves me. I cannot give you concrete evidence that Jesus exists. I cannot even describe exactly how I feel Him. If I tried to put words around it, you may think I'm trying to sell you a product. But to me, Jesus is even more concrete than my love is for my kids.

If you have doubts, but you just want to know that there is someone out there who loves you, no matter who you are, start by reading this, and go on from there.

Jesus loves you. Jesus does not condemn you. You who are not perfect, you who are hurting but feel unworthy, you who hate the church for how the church has been portrayed, Jesus loves you. You who have pains that you hold inside, you who have been betrayed and forgotten, you who are struggling to make ends meet and don't see how it's going to happen, Jesus loves you. You who have lost hope, you who have needs being unmet, you who are alone, Jesus loves you. Jesus loves you. Jesus loves you. That's all you need to know. That is the proof.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Very cool blog. Some good food for thought here! Go girl!

UGO4GOD said...

Crissi, can you post this on ugo4god? I LOVE IT
Lori