Sunday, October 30, 2005

Scriptures of Peace

Psalm 4:8
I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 85:8
I will listen to what God the LORD will say; he promises peace to his people, his saints— but let them not return to folly.

Psalm 119:165
Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.

Proverbs 3:31-32
Do not envy a violent man or choose any of his ways, for the LORD detests a perverse man but takes the upright into his confidence.

Proverbs 16:7
When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, he makes even his enemies live at peace with him.

Romans 12:17-19
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

Hebrews 12:14-15
Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.


As I've eluded to, I've been going through a bit of turmoil with a certain person in my life (no, not Randy...this time, lol!). And while it is not resolved, and probably will not be for a long time, I have really turned to the Lord and asked Him to be my guide in handling this situation. And I recently looked up scripture on peace, and the above is what I found. The last two scriptures, especially, were my voice of reason in how I've handled this. And I've found that rather than act how I want to at the moment, which would be not positive at all to say it mildly, I've had the opportunity and the time to do it biblically by praying and looking up scripture. And I can honestly say that the way I have acted towards the extreme lashing out this person has acted upon me, has been nothing less of love. And the opportunity for this person to back down and allow me to forget all of it and let it go is there should this person indeed back down. And believe me, I have humbled myself in such a way that would never have been possible without Jesus, and felt a grace and peace about it. The old me would be crumbling right now. The new me can allow this to not consume me, and still live life as if no turmoil existed. How do people live without Jesus?

No comments: