Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Graciousness

Exodus 16:3 "If only we had died by the Lord's hand in Egypt!...you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death."

Moan moan moan. *itch *itch *itch. After all He had done for them, freeing them from the Egyptians, keeping them out of harm's way, promising them a new life, here they were moaning and groaning about their needs. What had they done for Him? What had they given up for Him? But did the Lord show resentment? No, he provided more for them.

Reading this scripture, it was easy to be shocked by the Israelites behavior. Look at all the miracles God had performed for them. And it was like they had forgotten! After all the miraculous events starting with pharaoh all the way to the parting of the sea, did they really think the Lord would not provide food for them? In black and white their ungratefulness was easy to condemn.

But what of my life? How many times have I cried out to the Lord, untrusting of Him, or forgetting all that he had already done? Too many. Countless times I have sat there in my misery, feeling sorry for myself, wondering why others prospered while I suffered. Nevermind my cozy home. Nevermind my full belly and all my needs provided for. Nevermind a future that was placed in my hands if I worked hard for it. Nevermind it all. I wanted more. And very seldom did I pray, or sacrificed, or just thanked God for all he had given me. Oh, sure, I did in the beginning, as did the Israelites. But the novelty wore off, I got comfortable in my life, and I just wanted more. I became a spoiled child, throwing my inner tantrum for my desires.

It has also occurred to me that my careless way of living is not pleasing to the Lord. The Lord has provided me with a room in my parent's house. I leave it a mess. The Lord has provided me a car to drive. That, too, is uncared for. A lot of things in my life are out of order, and I am not being grateful to the Lord by being so careless. This is all about life changes. And these traits of ungratefulness and carelessness have got to go.

*Lord, I am so sorry for the times I have forgotten all the many ways you have blessed me. You have answered so many of my prayers, and I could never repay you even 1%. But I can give you more than I have been giving. I want to remain gracious for each and every thing you do for me. I want to cherish all my blessings from you and care for them as they are your own. Let me be a light to others and set an example of graciousness. And may my praise to you put a smile on your face. I love you, and I thank you with all my being.
Amen

No comments: