Friday, January 28, 2005

Boastful Tongues

Help Lord, for the godly are no more; the faithful have vanished from among men.
Everyone lies to his neighbor: their flattering lips speak with deception.
May the Lord cut off all flattering lips and every boastful tongue that says,
"We will triumph with our tongues; we own our lips - who is our master?"
"Because of the oppression of the weak and the groaning of the needy, I will now arise," says the Lord.
"I will protect them from those who malign them."
And the words of the Lord are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times.
O Lord, you will keep us safe and protect us from such people forever.
The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men.
Psalm 12

Dangerously, I enjoyed this verse. I haven't even finished my scriptures for today, because I had to journal on this one. I say dangerously, because in part I like it for revenge reasons. Yes, that is un-Christian of me, and yes, my resentment can be my weakness.
Sometimes I can feel so put off in this Christian lifestyle when certain persons run around doing whatever he pleases. I see those around "him" hurting because of him, especially myself, while he is so self-righteous. Sometimes it is tempting to just forget my path and just let "him" have it. And at times I have. But now I am changing my path, and cannot waste my time on trying to change a person who will not change.
My guilty pleasure in this verse is finding satisfaction in David asking the Lord to cut off flattering lips and boastful tongues. I think of all the manipulations put past me, and all the millions of lies. But I find solace in knowing the Lord will keep me safe from persons such as this, my only responsibility being to watch my own tongue and to trust in the Lord. The last line sums it all up: "The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men." I will not honor wicked things in my life, and will trust that the Lord will put his crown of thorns around me and protect me from any harm people wish upon me.

*Lord, protect me from wicked people who use your name in vain and who blaspheme their doings as under your will. Protect me from wanting to retaliate in any way, for teaching lessons or avengment are not my responsibility in times such as these. Protect me today as I hand off the kids, for his wicked words will surely come, and I will surely feel the temptation to allow them to rise up in me. Keep my words simple and clean. Keep me on the right path, with my eyes only on you. Please protect me.
Amen

No comments: