Wednesday, March 02, 2005

First loves

My 4 year old son is discovering the meaning of love. When I ask him who his friends are at school, he always mentions his guy friends, but lately has also been mentioning girl friends. Just for fun, I always ask him if these are his girlfriends, and he says yes. But it's silly because he doesn't get the joke. Well today he mentioned a new girl who he thinks is beautiful, but he hasn't kissed her. What?!? Whoa there. I told him he was too little to kiss her, but she must be a pretty neat girl.

Lucas has also decided he is in love with me. I remember when I was a little girl, I wanted to marry my daddy for a brief moment. I loved him so much, and it just made sense that one day I would marry him. Well, now Lucas has informed me of his plans. Tonight as we watched Bambi, he layed down in my lap and looked up at me.

"Mommy, I love you."
"I love you too, Lucas."
"Mommy, when I grow up and get bigger, I'm going to marry you."
"Oh really. That would be really nice Lucas."

Tonight he played like that, telling me that I would be the mommy deer and he would be the daddy deer. When I put him in bed and kissed him goodnight, he told me that he would be Prince Charming, and I would be his princess. Do you see why I'm such a sucker for this boy? I left the light on in the hall for his night light, gave him lots of kisses, and said goodnight.

After about the 7th time of him getting up and finding excuses for being up, and me giving warning after warning, I finally told him I had to turn the hall light out. He cried and begged for me to keep it on, but I had to follow through. I turned out the light and walked back to the living room. He yelled out after me that he's not Prince Charming anymore, and I'm not his princess anymore. Aw, there goes my fairy tale ending. I guess the wedding is off, at least until tomorrow when he loves me again.

1 comment:

Just a girl.... said...

You know Sam, I never even saw the analogy until you pointed it out. This is so true!