Saturday, January 02, 2016

I am still a Child in Faith....

It's been so long since I've written here. However, I think of this blog often. It was one of my safe places, a place where I could be authentic as I grew closer to God. It was also were I grew as a person, as well. So much was happening when I was actively writing here. I was a new single mother, trying to find my place in a world full of couples. I didn't feel like I belonged.

It was the love from friends and family that lifted me up and kept me standing on my own two feet. In the time I was writing this blog before, I developed extremely close friendships that felt vital to my life. In that season, they were. I learned that I was more than "just a girl." I learned I was a strong woman - I just needed a little help finding my strength. These friends held my hand as I took baby steps and helped me to see that I do belong.

But seasons end, and so did some of those friendships. My heart was broken over this, and I spilled many tears. However, time has a way of healing. It also offers perspective. I was beginning to depend on these friendships as a definition of my life, and I grew jealous if anyone seemed to be taking my place. What once felt good was starting to feel bad. The season was ending, and I was holding on too strong. And when I let go, everything broke.

But it had to break, because I needed to be put back together.

Today, I am no longer a lost single mother. I am a married woman with two teenage kids of my own and a stepson in his twenties. We live a stable life, with a steady income and have very good jobs. I have fulfilled my dream of being an author and have several books under my belt. Life has shifted dramatically.

Now, I can look at every step of my past and see the reason why it happened. I can see how each heartache led me to joy. I can see how some friendships were vital for a moment, and I cherish that moment tremendously. And I'm so happy to have a few of these friendships back in my life, once again - not in a dependent way, but in a celebratory way.

My life has changed. I have changed. But one thing remains the same - I am still a Child in Faith.

I am considering taking up this blog again, but under my own name and not "Just a Girl." Currently, I do most of my talking with God in my personal journal. And I have never felt closer to my Creator than I do now. But it would be nice to return to blogging about my faith. There are things I felt once when I was writing this blog that are different now (for instance, I have a healthy appreciation of the Old Testament now, when I once had a hard time with it). And there are thoughts I'd love to share with anyone who wants to be a part of this community.

You can catch me on Instagram at instagram.com/childinfaith. If you're curious about my books, I have a website at crissilangwell.com.

I look forward to reconnecting. :-)

For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." - Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: