Friday, July 14, 2006

Praise for Memories


My dad and me doing our favorite past-time

My dad's 60th birthday is coming up, and it's been my job for quite some time to make up the invitation. And since today was the deadline, naturally I started it today. So, I'm going through all the photo albums, and through my dad's desk where he holds some old unseen photos. And I got lost in these photos. I must have spent three hours putting the flyer together, and half of that was just going through the photo albums.


My dad leading me on our old horse, "Pumkin".

I had a great childhood. Contrary to what I believed as a teenager, I had it great. My parents took us to Disneyland, up to the snow, to the beach. We lived at a house that had a huge backyard, and I cannot remember a time when we did not have a horse or two dogs. Looking back at these photos reminded me of how close (well, sometimes) my sisters and I were. It reminded me of the old days when life was simple. It made me happy.


At Knott's Berry Farm: Me, my sister Melissa, my sister Heather, and of course, my dad.

So tonight I praise God for memories, happy memories. I praise God for this opportunity I had today to recall my childhood, to see my parents as younger and less sure of themselves, and to be able to be a virtual witness to a time when things were simpler.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

You know what is so cute about this post? You as a kid. You still look exactly the same.

I was looking at old photos of myself this week and there are so many of me asleep. I thought I was the only one whose family took photos of me sleeping. Glad to know I'm not alone!

Praising memories of your father!

Christine Boles said...

Loved this!